I absolutely love anything that is soup based. Maybe because it gives you a total feeling of comfort. Just like you’re getting a big ole hug from a close family member. Italian sausage really has a very unique flavor when paired with the tomatoe bases and spices. It gives the soup a better, richer flavor. Johnsonville has several different types of italian sausages to choose from – sweet, mild and spicy. This recipe is a nice hearty soup. Not only does it have sausages but potatoes, peppers and red onions.
It’s a good cold weather soup or if you have a large family that you’re trying to feed and need it to stretch. In addition, soups are always just what you need when you’re getting nursed back to good health. I always tend to make extra for leftovers because when you’re feeding 3 or more people, cooking three times a day may not be feasible. I normally purchase a large pack of Johnsonville sausages from Sam’s and divide it into portions and place them in freezer bags for storage. Go ahead.. give it a try. Your family will love you for it.
Savory Italian Sausage and Vegetables
- 4 Italian sausage links sliced
- 1 can stewed tomatoes 14.5oz
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper
- 1 medium red onion diced
- 1 can of chicken broth 14.5oz
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup of water
- 4 medium red potatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 packet sazon
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Fresh ground pepper and salt to taste
- Spray large pan with canola cooking spray and cook sausages over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add onions, bell peppers, salt, pepper, sazon, and garlic powder. Sauté until tender approximately 4 minutes. Stir in the potatoes and cook an additional 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, broth, water, tomato paste and bay leaf. Cook on low-medium heat for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.