Cheesy Turkey Lasagna
Total Time 1 hour 20 minutes
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 16 oz box lasagna noodles
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 large green bell pepper diced
- 2 8oz jars tomato sauce
- 1 large yellow onion
- 6 garlic cloves diced
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup parsley chopped
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 15oz container ricotta cheese
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In a large dutch oven, add 1 tablespoon canola oil and cook the ground turkey over med-high heat, stirring consistently to crumble and separate meat.
- Stir in all seasonings, spices and herbs and pour in tomato sauce.
- Reduce heat to a low simmer.
- Place lasagna noodles flat in a baking pan or casserole dish.
- Meanwhile, bring 8 cups of water and 1 tbsp of salt to a boil and pour directly over the noodles.
- Allow noodles to sit for 30 minutes in the hot water, drain, rinse and discard pasta water.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese, eggs, parsley, salt, pepper, seasoned salt and place mixture in the fridge until ready to assemble.
- Preheat oven to 375 and spray a 9x13 inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Spread about 1 cup of meat sauce in the bottom of pan.
- Place a layer of noodles in the bottom of pan, slightly overlapping, trimming as necessary.
- Spread 1/3 of the ricotta cheese mixture and top with 1/4 of the mozzarella cheese, then sprinkle with 1/4 cup parmesan cheese. Repeat ...layering for a total of three layers.
- Place final layer of pasta noodles, topped with remaining meat sauce, mozzarella, parmesan, mild cheddar cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for an additional 25 minutes to allow cheese to melt and slightly brown.
- Allow lasagna to cool for 20 minutes before serving.
***You may use ground meat of your choice in any combination***