All white everything… of course not. Except those CREAMY, CAJUN RED BEANS. If you’re from New Orleans, you know exactly what brand they are. Red kidney beans are as ubiquitous a symbol of New Orleans as the fleur-de-lis, a rite as common as Carnival. The city’s culinary connection to the lowly red bean is mighty, stretching over centuries, across distant cultures and peoples around the globe.
Creamy Cajun Red Beans and Rice
- 1 1-pound package Camellia Brand Red Kidney Beans
- 1 pound smoked turkey wings sliced
- 8-10 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 stick of butter
- 2 cups chopped seasoning blend onions, celery, green bell peppers, parsley flakes
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- cajun seasoning to taste
- hot cooked rice
- Soak beans in 6-8 cups of water overnight
- Rinse and sort beans
- In large dutch oven, render sliced turkey meat in 2 tablespoons canola oil for 5 minutes.
- Add chopped seasoning blend and garlic to cooked turkey, along with 1/4 stick butter, and continue to cook until onions are translucent.
- Add beans, water, and bay leaves
- Bring to rolling boil for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat, simmer for 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally, until beans are desired tenderness.
- Add salt, pepper, cajun seasoning to taste.
- Serve over hot cooked rice.