Onion and Mushroom Gravy Smothered Gravy
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
- 8 pieces chicken thighs
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 - 14.5 oz can of chicken stock
- 1 - 16 oz pack sliced white mushrooms
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 cups canola oil for frying
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon old bay
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning divided
- 1/2 teaspoon sazon completa optional
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- Clean chicken with lemon juice, coarse sea salt and water, rubbing to remove any surface residue.
- Season with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder, sazon completa, 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning and old bay.
- Heat canola oil over med-high heat
- Dredge chicken in flour chicken, fry each side approximately 10 minutes on each side.
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Pour most of the oil except 3 tbsps of oil into a small heat resistant container leaving the crumbs from the chicken in the bottom of the pan.
- Return pan to heat and add 3 tbsps of flour and stir.
- Add the sliced onions and mushrooms while continuing to stir until the gravy is a medium brown color and add minced garlic.
- Slowly add the chicken stock while stirring. Use your judgement for thick gravy add less chicken stock and for thin gravy, add more.
- Stir until well combined then reintroduce the chicken to the pan including any leftover juices.
- Add thyme, red pepper flakes and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of poultry seasoning to the gravy.
- Stir, reduce heat to simmer, cover and let cook about 20 minutes.
- Add parsley for garnish.